Job Opportunity: Communications Assistant at Scarborough Arts
Scarborough Arts is looking to fill the position of Communications Assistant.
Application Deadline: September 22, 2017
Start Date: October 2, 2017
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH ARTS
Scarborough Arts, a non-profit charitable organization, is the only artsorganization of its kind specifically serving the Scarborough community through innovative arts and culture programs for citizens of all ages. We bring artists to the community and community to artists.
This is an exciting time at Scarborough Arts as the organization leaps into the new year of programs, community partnerships, and major public festivals and events across Scarborough and on SA grounds. We are looking for someone to roll up their sleeves as they step into the creative environment that SA has to offer, and help this unique organization build a vibrant artistic prosperity across Scarborough.
This new position of Communications Assistant at Scarborough Arts, will report to the Communications and Marketing Coordinator. The person will be stepping in to supporting several key initiatives, such as: website population and content generation; media outreach; creation of design and creative elements and content; membership and public relations; social media content.
If you are passionate about community arts and have a strong commitment to the growth of cultural sector that makes a direct impact on community and individuals it serves, then Scarborough Arts is the place to be.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Be the first point of contact for visiting guests, answering main reception line, and responding to inquiries via email
– Drafting press releases and any public communication messaging
– Support social media initiatives on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn through posts, content, and research
– Support the development and content population of the new SA website
– Support the outreach efforts and ongoing communication with SA volunteers, members and general inquiries
– Provide program support on as needed basis, leading up and during events as required (set up, communications, invites/RSVP lists, greeting guests, scheduling and transportation needs)
– Assistance with processing memberships and mailing membership packages; maintaining membership database
– Work in collaboration with SA team to draft and design online, digital, and print materials as required by each program and initiative
– Provide administrative support to the organization, in the form of filing; office organization; petty cash reconciliation; deliveries/pickups; mail and printing; and others.
– Opening and closing the SA Bluffs Gallery
– Carry out other duties as assigned by Marketing and Communications Coordinator, in relations to marketing, communications, and operational needs
– Post-Secondary education in the field of Communications, Marketing, Arts Administration and/or other equivalent experience
– 1 to 3 years experience within a creative institution in Public Relations, Marketing or artistic role.
– Exceptional interpersonal skills, effective verbal and writing communication skills, copy editing skills
– Knowledge of Scarborough and borough needs is considered an strong asset
– Excellent knowledge of Microsoft applications/office (Excel/PowerPoint/Word), DropBox, Google Calendar, and Google Drive
– Knowledge of social media processes and strategies
– Creative skills and working knowledge with WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, MailChimp, database management (CiviCRM), generating and producing design, web, communications elements and deliverables
– Public Relations experience. An outside of the box thinker to generate media coverage
– Self-motivated; works independently and collaboratively as part of a core team
– Imaginative and innovative problem solver
– Outstanding time-management, multi-tasking, and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail
– Adaptable to a flexible work schedule including evenings and weekends.
– Driver Licence and access to a vehicle considered an asset
Full Time Contract (with a possibility of extension) – Starting October 2nd, 2017 until September 30th, 2018
37.5 hours a week, with evening and weekend hours as required.
Benefits provided after 3 months.
Professional development opportunities provided by Scarborough Arts.
HOW TO APPLY:
1.) Apply with a cover letter, resume, and 2 references attached as ONE PDF or Word file.
2.) Save attachment as FIRST_NAME_LAST_NAME_ComAssist
3.) Send by email with “Communications Assistant” in the subject line to email@example.com by September 22nd, 2017
4.) Please also note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting
Thank you to all those that apply, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please.
All applications are considered confidential.
Scarborough Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Scarborough Arts is a charitable, not-for-profit cultural organization whose mission is to bring arts to the community and community to the arts.
Name: Marianne Rellin