Call for Submissions: Scarborough Arts’ 33rd Annual Juried Exhibition
Scarborough Arts produces the Annual Juried Exhibition, a showcase of visual artworks created by local artists in response to a theme. For Scarborough Arts’ 33rd Annual Juried Exhibition, artists are invited to submit works in painting, illustration, photography, sculpture, printmaking, video, and installation that respond to the theme Equity through Emergence.
Submissions are open to emerging, mid-career, and professional artists. In order to be eligible, artists must reside in Scarborough or in the Greater Toronto Area.
Submissions will be reviewed by an esteemed panel of arts professionals. Pieces will be selected based upon a combination of artistic quality, technical execution, conceptual strength, originality, and impact. Two awards (the Scarborough Arts Award and the Nikita Marner Award) and cash prizes of up to $500 will be presented to two distinguished artists at the exhibition opening reception at Cedar Ridge Creative Centre on November 2018.
Scarborough Arts strives to represent a diverse array of voices. We encourage submissions from all especially from the LGBTQ2S+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Questioning, Two-Spirit), BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour), Deaf, Mad, and disabled communities.
ABOUT THE THEME: EQUITY THROUGH EMERGENCE
- the process of coming into view or becoming exposed after being concealed.
- the process of coming into being, or of becoming important or prominent.
Artists carve out spaces for all backgrounds and walks of life. Art allows for people to express their unique identities, stories, and perspectives, creating a more inclusive society. In collaboration with Neighbourhood Arts Network, we celebrate our diversity and invite artists to explore emergence through art.
— How does your art explore your identity?
— What stories need a spotlight in the media?
— What does community arts mean to you?
— What truths can we uncover and showcase as a community?
— How can we create a better future for the next generation?
— How can we use art to lead social change?
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Submissions are open to Scarborough and Greater Toronto Area residents.
- Submissions will only be validated upon receipt of payment.
- All submissions must be original and must be the creation of the entrant. Plagiarized works will be disqualified.
- All submissions must be completed works of art; works in progress will not be considered.
- Artwork must be family-friendly and appropriate for the general audience.
- We do not tolerate racism, discrimination, hate speech, bullying or harassment of any kind. We will not accept works that exhibit or promote these qualities.
- All completed submissions will go through a jurying process; decision of the jury is final. No telephone inquiries, please. We regret that we cannot offer feedback due to the volume of submissions.
- Scarborough Arts has one-time print, electronic, and excerpt rights for promotional purposes of this exhibition. You retain all ownership and future publication rights to your work.
- Scarborough Arts retains a 30% commission on all work sold during the exhibition.
- Artists assume all liability for the damage or theft of artwork during transportation. The artist is liable for any damage to an artwork that is not properly protected, hard-wired or affixed for presentation.
- Artists waive all claims or causes of action against Scarborough Arts and Cedar Ridge Creative Centre.
- Artists with accepted works will be notified via email. Selected works must be ready with fixtures, wires, and hanging mechanisms attached to the artwork prior to the time of drop-off. Artists must ensure that name, contact information, and title of the piece is affixed to the back of every submission. Scarborough Arts reserves the right to exclude artwork that is not “hang-ready” with fixtures, wires, and hanging mechanisms at the time of drop-off/delivery.
- All free-standing works must be on pedestals with suitable plastic coverings that can be secured and must be provided by the artist in the event that Cedar Ridge is unable to provide the pedestal.
- Artworks selected must be dropped off to Cedar Ridge on Saturday, November 17, 2018, from 12–4 PM.
- Artworks must be retrieved from Cedar Ridge Creative Centre (225 Confederation Drive, Scarborough) on Thursday, December 6, 2018 anytime between 10AM and 4PM. Scarborough Arts and Cedar Ridge Creative Centre are not liable for any artworks that are not retrieved after this date.
- Should a work of art, which has been accepted into the program, become unavailable, it is the responsibility of the artist to notify Scarborough Arts.
- All accepted artworks must remain in the gallery for the entire duration of the exhibition.
$30 – Scarborough Arts members
$45 – Combined submission fee and one-year Scarborough Arts membership.
(More information about our membership program here.)
Application Deadline: September 23, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST. Late entries will not be considered.
Exhibition Dates: November 19 to December 5, 2018
Exhibition Location: Cedar Ridge Creative Centre, 225 Confederation Drive
Exhibition Opening Reception + Awards Ceremony: TBD
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH ARTS
Scarborough Arts, a non-profit charitable organization, is the leading arts organization specifically serving the Scarborough community through innovative arts and culture programs for citizens of all ages. We bring artists to the community and community to artists.