Call for Submissions: Scarborough Arts’ 34th Annual Juried Exhibition: Introspection
2019 THEME: INTROSPECTION
DEADLINE TO APPLY ONLINE: October 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST
Scarborough Arts produces the Annual Juried Exhibition, a showcase of visual artworks created by local artists in response to a theme. For Scarborough Arts’ 34th Annual Juried Exhibition, artists are invited to submit works in painting, illustration, photography, sculpture, printmaking, video, and installation that respond to the theme Introspection.
Submissions are open to emerging, mid-career, and professional artists. In order to be eligible, artists must reside in Scarborough or in the Greater Toronto Area.
Submissions will be reviewed by an esteemed panel of arts professionals. Pieces will be selected based upon a combination of artistic quality, technical execution, conceptual strength, originality, and impact. Three awards and cash prizes [the Scarborough Arts Award ($500), the Nikita Marner Award for Youth ($500), and the Staff Pick Award ($250)] will be presented to three distinguished artists at the exhibition opening reception at Cedar Ridge Creative Centre on November 23rd, 2019.
Scarborough Arts strives to represent a diverse array of voices. We encourage submissions from all especially from the LGBTQ2S+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Questioning, Two-Spirit), BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour), Deaf, Mad, and disabled communities.
ABOUT THE THEME: INTROSPECTION
Today, where everyone is dealing with the anxieties of daily life, it is often difficult to take time to reflect on our thoughts and feelings, to sit back and ask ourselves one question, ‘Who am I?’.
This year, Scarborough Arts invites you to join us on an introspective journey. It is a time to focus on ourselves, to develop a more thorough understanding of our core values, capabilities, and ambitions. It is a moment to realize our challenges and triumphs. Through your art, you can explore yourself in abstract and creative ways.
What are my values?
What are my future goals?
What topics do I care about?
How can I show this through art?
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Submissions are open to Scarborough and Greater Toronto Area residents, only.
- Submissions will only be validated upon receipt of payment.
- All submissions must be original and must be the creation of the entrant. Plagiarized works will be disqualified.
- All submissions must be completed works of art; works in progress will not be considered.
- Artwork must be family-friendly and appropriate for the general audience.
- We do not tolerate racism, discrimination, hate speech, bullying or harassment of any kind. We will not accept works that exhibit or promote these qualities.
- All completed submissions will go through a jurying process; decision of the jury is final. No telephone inquiries, please. We regret that we cannot offer feedback due to the volume of submissions.
- Scarborough Arts has one-time print, electronic, and excerpt rights for promotional purposes of this exhibition. You retain all ownership and future publication rights to your work.
- Scarborough Arts retains a 30% commission on all work sold during the exhibition.
- Artists assume all liability for the damage or theft of artwork during transportation, installation, and exhibition. The artist is liable for any damage to an artwork that is not properly protected, hard-wired or affixed for presentation.
- Artists waive all claims or causes of action against Scarborough Arts and Cedar Ridge Creative Centre.
- Artists with accepted works will be notified via email. Selected works must be ready with fixtures, wires, and hanging mechanisms attached to the artwork prior to the time of drop-off. Artists must ensure that name, contact information, and title of the piece is affixed to the back of every submission. Scarborough Arts reserves the right to exclude artwork that is not “hang-ready” with fixtures, wires, and hanging mechanisms at the time of drop-off/delivery.
- All free-standing works must be on pedestals with suitable plastic coverings that can be secured and must be provided by the artist in the event that Cedar Ridge is unable to provide the pedestal.
- All two-dimensional artworks must be glazed or behind glass to protect artwork surface from damage by other events and activities taking place in Cedar Ridge Creative Centre.
- Artworks selected must be dropped off to Cedar Ridge on Friday, November 22, 2019, from 12–4 PM (subject to change and to be confirmed).
- Artworks must be retrieved from Cedar Ridge Creative Centre (225 Confederation Drive, Scarborough) on Friday December 13, 2019 anytime between 10AM and 4PM. Scarborough Arts and Cedar Ridge Creative Centre are not liable for any artworks that are not retrieved after this date.
- Should a work of art, which has been accepted into the program, become unavailable, it is the responsibility of the artist to notify Scarborough Arts.
- All accepted artworks must remain in the gallery for the entire duration of the exhibition.
$30 – Scarborough Arts members
$45 – Combined submission fee and one-year Scarborough Arts membership.
(More information about our membership program here.)
$20 – Youth (Ages 24 and under)
$50 – Non-Scarborough Arts members
Application Deadline: October 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST. Late entries will not be considered.
Exhibition Dates: November 23 to December 12, 2019
Exhibition Location: Cedar Ridge Creative Centre, 225 Confederation Drive
Exhibition Opening Reception + Awards Ceremony: November 23rd
IN-PERSON OR MAIL APPLICATIONS
All mail or in-person submissions must be submitted on or before Oct. 11, 2019 at 5PM EST.
MAIL: Mailed application forms must be postmarked no later than Fri., Oct. 11th, 2019 at 5pm and must include a digital version of your submission (CD or USB key).
IN-PERSON DROP OFF: INTROSPECTION 2019, Scarborough Arts, 1859 Kingston Road, Scarborough, ON, M1N 1T3. They must be received on or before Fri., Oct., 11th, 2019 at 5pm. Our office hours are Monday to Friday, 10AM to 5PM.
MAIL/IN-PERSON/EMAIL SUBMISSION CHECKLIST
All Mail/In-Person Drop Off/Email entries must include the following:
– 1 completed copy of a Submission Form
– 1 completed copy of an Artwork Details Form per artwork. (Up to 3 submissions max.)
– 1 separate high-resolution jpeg of each visual arts piece being submitted or 1 digital document of each literary piece being submitted
- 1 copy of a Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) or Portfolio and/or website
– Submission Fee
Digital submissions strongly preferred. Apply now by using the ‘Apply’ button at the top and bottom of this page.
DEADLINE TO APPLY ONLINE: October 11, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH ARTS
Scarborough Arts, a non-profit charitable organization, is the leading arts organization specifically serving the Scarborough community through innovative arts and culture programs for citizens of all ages. We bring artists to the community and community to artists.